I’m not a huge fan of salads, unless they have lots of toppings. Here is a recipe for a great salad, that is different than your regular, boring salad with typical toppings… tomatoes, cheese, eggs, carrots. This Sweet potato salad is very easy to make and can even be prepared ahead of time and just throw the toppings on right before you eat.
Recipe for Sweet Potato Salad
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- gorgonzola,bleu cheese, goat cheese
- salad mix (I usually use a large bag of spring mix)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 Tbs cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Cut sweet potatoes into long, slender pieces ( much like fries). Toss with olive oil, diced red onion and garlic cloves. Spread on baking sheet and roast at 400 for approx. 45 minutes (I usually stir it at 20 minutes and then again at 20 min. at which time it’s usually done.).
- Combine ingredients for dressing in a mason jar and shake until combined.
- Lay salad on a plate/serving dish and top with the roasted veggies, bleu cheese (I used goat cheese) and drizzle dressing over top.
*Can be served warm or at room temp.
Filed under recipes, salad
Apple crisp is a favorite dessert around our family. I think majority of the kids (and Andy) prefer it over apple pie. It is way easier to put together than apple pie too, which I love. My oldest loves to bake and she can make this without my help. Here is a simple, but delicious recipe for Apple Crisp:
Recipe for Apple Crisp
- 4 medium apples, peeled and sliced (I like jonagolds, honeycrisp, or spies)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup oats, quick or old fashioned (we prefer old fashioned)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease bottom and sides of a 8 inch pan.
- Spread apples in the bottom of pan. Combine the rest of ingredients in a separate bowl and mix until well combined. Spread over apples.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until topping is light brown and apples are tender.
*I usually double to topping because we love it! You can also double the entire recipe and bake in a 9×13 pan.
*It is especially delicious with a side of vanilla ice cream
Filed under dessert, recipes
Today I took the girls to Java Gym, which is basically a huge climbing structure (think McDonald’s play area, but like 10 times bigger) for the kids to play in and they have tables for the adults to sit and drink coffee. I’m really not a huge fan of places like this because it gets so busy and loud! The only way I enjoy it is if I go the first thing in the morning and then leave by the time it gets really crazy. I thought I was being really frugal because I had punches left on a card from a Groupon that Andy had bought me a long time ago, but of course it expired December 1. Oops.
The girls had a ball playing there today and we actually ended up staying for like 3 hours. It wasn’t that busy and they had Christmas activities for the kids (Santa says and face painting). It was really nice because Molly is now old enough that she can do the entire thing without my help (her sisters have to give her a boost on a few things). It used to be such a big workout for me because I would have to climb the entire structure with her and let me tell you it is not make for big people :) The girls had a great time and were exhausted when we left.
I can’t believe that we are playing soccer outside a week before Christmas!
We have done a lot of baking the past few weeks, but today we decided to do Sugar cookies and then frost and decorate them. It was a process, but very fun. All three girls helped with making EVERYTHING (even the mess). They had so much fun frosting the cookies after we baked them. Molly really enjoyed the icing and Abby made sure the entire cookie was covered with both icing and sprinkles. Andy got home from work while we were icing them and he looked me like I was crazy because there were sprinkles EVERYWHERE! The girls had so much fun! Andy gave them all baths and by the time they were cleaned up I had the kitchen and dining room clean too!
*It was hard finding a good pic because Molly was only in her undies for the frosting part of the day and I didn’t think she would like that being up here